If you’ve trained with us at Beyond then you are no stranger to the almighty burpee. Yes, they may be the worst exercise ever created by man… but they have major benefits:
Burpees make your body a fat burning machine
They are an intense fully body exercise
They burn a ton of calories
Research shows that high intensity exercises like burpees burn up to 50% more fat than moderate exercising
They speed up your metabolism throughout the day—meaning you’ll burn more calories all day long, even after your burpee hell is over.
With every rep, you’ll work your arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings, and abs
They’re great for conditioning and endurance! And they get your heart rate up—fast.
Here are the steps to complete a burpee:
- Begin in a standing position.
- Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body into a squatting position.
- Place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Kick your feet back so that you are in push-up position.
- Beginners or those uncomfortable kicking their feet back can walk back into the pushup position.
- Keep your hands firmly on the ground to support your body.
- Lower your chest to do a push-up.
- Bring your chest back up.
- Kick your feet back to their original position.
- Beginners or those uncomfortable kicking their feet back can walk back into the original position.
- Stand up, and then jump into the air.
- Clap your hands overhead.
Repeat. Do 10-15 reps to complete one set – if you are a beginner or are out of shape, start off with 5 burpees in a row.
Why do you love (or hate) burpees? Let us know in the comments below.